All About Alocasia 'California'
Posted on December 12 2022
Alocasia California, also known as an Elephant Ear, has very large, glossy, green, heart-shaped leaves with wavy edges. This specific Alocasia can be anywhere from 6” to as tall as a small tree in size! If you are searching for a dramatic and very unique indoor plant Alocasia California is a great choice.
Meet Your Match:
- Nickname: Elephant Ear Plant
- About the Family: The Alocasia California is related to other varieties of Alocasia, such as the Imperial Red and Tyrion.
- Understanding the Family Tree: Araceae (Family), Alocasia (Genus), Alocasia California (Species).
- Hometown: Tropical Asia.
How to Care for Your Alocasia California:
- Watering: When the first 2 inches of soil is dry. Never let the soil completely dry.
- Humidity: Above 50%.
- Soil: Well-draining.
- Fertilizer: Mild fertilizer every two weeks during the growing season.
- Environment: Keep your Alocasia Californa in bright to medium indirect light and temperatures above 65 degrees.
- Propagation: Division.
- Toxicity: Shouldn’t be ingested; toxic to pets and people.
The Best Unboxing Practices:
- Watering: Exotic Forest ships freshly watered plants. Do not water your Alocasia until it exhibits the proper signs.
- Repotting: Do not immediately repot your plant, which would likely result in shock and leaf-loss. Allow it to acclimate to its new environment for at least one week.
- Lighting: Place your Alocasia in filtered, low light for a few days to acclimate. Relocate your Alocasia California to your desired location that fits its care needs afterward. Do not ever place a freshly un-boxed plant in direct sun.
What You’re Getting:
- You will receive a carefully selected, quality evaluated 10” diameter plant approximately 36" tall. All Exotic Forest plants are rooted and thriving.
What Makes Us Special:
- Shipment Methods: Plants are precious, and we want yours to arrive safely! We ship our plants via UPS, with a maximum of 4-day shipping.
- Our Packing: Have you received ‘squished’ plants from other companies? Our solution to this common issue is bamboo stakes and biodegradable packing peanuts (starch), which securely holds your plant in place during shipment.
- Chemical-free: We are committed to keeping our plants and customers safe. We never treat our plants with chemical pesticides.
- Quality Standards: Exotic Forest strives to meet stringent quality standards and evaluates each plant we resource from our nursery. Pest-free, healthy plants are a requirement!
- Customer Service: Your satisfaction is our priority. If you are experiencing issues with or have questions about how to care for your Alocasia Regal Shields, reach out to us at email@example.com or via our social media accounts. Are you tired of receiving pre-written responses? We believe that plant parents want to talk to people, not robots. A knowledgeable team member reads and replies to each individual concern: no cookie-cutter answers here!
- Returns: While we do not accept returns at this time, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with photos of your plant and receipt to discuss the specific plant care issues you’re experiencing with your Alocasia Regal Shields and possible resolutions.
- Your Personal Plant-Care Resource: Do you love your new addition? We couldn’t be happier! Join our mailing list to receive exclusive offers, updates, and care tips.
FAQ about Caring for Alocasia California:
- How do you care for an Alocasia California plant? Alocasia Californias need bright, but indirect light. This is due to the plant's natural habitat, on the forest floor beneath the tree canopy. Direct sun will cause the leaves to burn, so avoid placing your Alocasia in a spot where it'll be exposed to direct sun for a prolonged period. As for watering, Alocasias prefer their soil a little on the drier side, so make sure you only water your plant when the top of the soil is dry.
- Is Alocasia an indoor plant? Alocasia California can only live outdoors in zones 10 and 11, so if you live in another zone, you’ll have to keep your Alocasia indoors. You’ll need to ensure your Alocasia has bright indirect light, regular waterings, and humidity from a humidifier or regular mistings for it to thrive inside.
- Does an Alocasia need sun? Alocasia California needs bright, indirect light. Avoid placing your Alocasia in direct sun so the leaves don’t burn.