All About Ficus elastica ‘Burgundy Rubber Tree’
Posted on December 12 2022
Ficus elastica 'Burgundy Rubber Tree' is a species of plant in the Moraceae family. It’s known as the 'the rubber plant' because of its sticky latex sap that dries into a low quality rubber. New growth on this tree will have shades of red and pink within the veins, making this a colorful and elegant statement plant. This tree grows to be very large in its natural habitat (up to 40' tall and 100' wide) but can easily be pruned to maintain a reasonable size indoors.
Meet Your Match:
- Nickname: Burgundy Rubber Tree.
- About the Family: The Burgundy Rubber Tree is a member of the Moraceae family, so it is a relative of both Fig and Mulberry trees.
- Understanding the Family Tree: Moraceae (Family), Ficus (Genus), Ficus elastica (Species).
- Hometown: The Rubber Tree’s home is native to jungles in eastern parts of South Asia and southeast Asia.
How to Care for Your Ficus elastica ‘Burgundy Rubber Tree’:
- Watering: Water when the soil surface dries out.
- Humidity: This plant enjoys being misted during the summer.
- Soil: Well-draining soil.
- Fertilizer: Fertilize once a month during the growing season. Do not fertilize during dormancy.
- Environment: Keep your ‘Burgundy Rubber Tree’ in bright, indirect light.
- Propagation: Cuttings along nodes can be rooted.
- Toxicity: ‘Burgundy Rubber Tree’ is toxic to dogs and cats. The sap can also be a skin irritant to humans.
The Best Unboxing Practices:Properly caring for your newly unboxed Burgundy Rubber Tree for the first week of its new life is crucial to the extended wellness of your plant. Follow these practices to get the best results:
- Watering: Exotic Forest ships freshly watered plants. Do not water your ‘Burgundy Rubber Tree’ until it exhibits the proper signs.
- Repotting: Do not immediately repot your plant, which would likely result in shock and leaf-loss. Allow it to acclimate to its new environment for at least one week.
- Lighting: Place your plant in filtered, medium direct light for a few days to acclimate. Relocate your ‘Burgundy Rubber Tree’ to your desired location in partial sunlight that fits its care needs afterward.
What You’re Getting:
- You will receive a carefully selected, quality evaluated 10” diameter plant approximately 36" tall. All Exotic Forest plants are rooted and thriving.
What Makes Us Special:
- Shipment Methods: Plants are precious, and we want yours to arrive safely! We ship our plants via UPS, with a maximum of 4-day shipping.
- Our Packing: Have you received ‘squished’ plants from other companies? Our solution to this common issue is bamboo stakes and biodegradable packing peanuts (starch), which securely holds your plant in place during shipment.
- Chemical-free: We are committed to keeping our plants and customers safe. We never treat our plants with chemical pesticides.
- Quality Standards: Exotic Forest strives to meet stringent quality standards and evaluates each plant we resource from our nursery. Pest-free, healthy plants are a requirement!
- Customer Service: Your satisfaction is our priority. If you are experiencing issues with or have questions about how to care for your Ficus elastica ‘Burgundy Rubber Tree’, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via our social media accounts. Are you tired of receiving pre-written responses? We believe that plant parents want to talk to people, not robots. A knowledgeable team member reads and replies to each individual concern: no cookie-cutter answers here!
- Returns: While we do not accept returns at this time, you can contact us at email@example.com with photos of your plant and receipt to discuss the specific plant care issues you’re experiencing with your Ficus elastica ‘Burgundy Rubber Tree’ and possible resolutions.
- Your Personal Plant-Care Resource: Do you love your new addition? We couldn’t be happier! Join our mailing list to receive exclusive offers, updates, and care tips.
FAQ about Ficus elastica ‘Burgundy Rubber Tree’:
- How much light does a burgundy rubber tree need? Burgundy rubber trees grow best with consistent, bright, filtered light. Many people have found putting their rubber trees near a window where the light is filtered through a pair of sheer curtains provides sufficient light.
- How often should I water my burgundy rubber tree? Burgundy rubber trees water needs vary according to season: In the growing season, the plant should be kept moist. This includes wiping the leaves with a damp cloth or even misting them. During the winter, your plant may only need water once or twice a month.
- How do I make my burgundy rubber tree bushy? To make a rubber tree bushy you are going to have to prune the plant. This is the only proven method to help the rubber plant begin branching out. Using a pair of sharpened cutters, that have been sterilised to be sure you do not infect your plant. Once pruned the tree will expand from the node.
- Will my burgundy rubber tree grow back lost leaves? Rubber trees do not regrow leaves from the lower parts of their stalks, only from the top.