All About Ficus lyrata ‘Fiddle Leaf Fig’
Posted on December 12 2022
We’ve all seen them. And we can’t get enough of their deeply veined, pillowy leaves and potentially towering height! The good news? Caring for a Ficus Lyrata ‘Fiddle Leaf Fig’ isn’t as difficult as you may imagine. Simply let the topsoil dry out between watering and provide them with bright filtered light.
Meet Your Match:
- Nickname: Banjo Fig, Fiddle Leaf Fig
- About the Family: The Ficus lyrata is a relative of other Ficus varieties, such as the Little Fiddle and Rubber Tree.
- Understanding the Family Tree: Moreacea (Family), Ficus (Genus), Ficus lyrata (Species).
- Hometown: Africa.
How to Care for Your Ficus Lyrata:
- Watering: Water when the first 1-2 inches is dry.
- Humidity: Average-High.
- Soil: Well-draining soil.
- Fertilizer: A diluted 3-2-1 fertilizer once a month.
- Environment: Keep your Fiddle Leaf Fig in bright indirect light and temperatures above 65 degrees.
- Propagation: Stem cuttings
- Toxicity: Toxic to pets and people.
The Best Unboxing Practices:
- Watering: Exotic Forest ships freshly watered plants. Do not water your Fiddle Leaf Fig until it exhibits the proper signs.
- Repotting: Do not immediately repot your plant, which would likely result in shock and leaf-loss. Allow it to acclimate to its new environment for at least one week.
- Lighting: Place your Fiddle Leaf Fig in filtered, low light for a few days to acclimate. Relocate your Ficus Lyrata to your desired location for its care needs afterward. Do not ever place a freshly un-boxed plant in direct sun.
What You’re Getting:
- You will receive a carefully selected, quality evaluated Fiddle Leaf Fig in a 10" diameter grow pot approximately 36" tall.
What Makes Us Special:
- Shipment Methods: Plants are precious, and we want yours to arrive safely! We ship our plants via UPS, with a maximum of 4-day shipping.
- Our Packing: Have you received ‘squished’ plants from other companies? Our solution to this common issue is bamboo stakes and biodegradable packing peanuts (starch), which securely holds your plant in place during shipment.
- Chemical-free: We are committed to keeping our plants and customers safe. We never treat our plants with chemical pesticides.
- Quality Standards: Exotic Forest strives to meet stringent quality standards and evaluates each plant we resource from our nursery. Pest-free, healthy plants are a requirement!
- Customer Service: Your satisfaction is our priority. If you are experiencing issues with or have questions about how to care for your icus lyrata ‘Fiddle Leaf Fig’, reach out to us at email@example.com or via our social media accounts. Are you tired of receiving pre-written responses? We believe that plant parents want to talk to people, not robots. A knowledgeable team member reads and replies to each individual concern: no cookie-cutter answers here!
- Returns: While we do not accept returns at this time, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with photos of your plant and receipt to discuss the specific plant care issues you’re experiencing with your icus lyrata ‘Fiddle Leaf Fig’ and possible resolutions.
- Your Personal Plant-Care Resource: Do you love your new addition? We couldn’t be happier! Join our mailing list to receive exclusive offers, updates, and care tips.
FAQ about Caring for Ficus Lyrata:
- What’s the best Ficus Lyrata Propagation? The best way to propagate your Ficus Lyrata is by using stem cuttings. How? (1) Cut a stem with three nodes. (2) Optional: Dip the cut in rooting hormone powder. (3) Place the cutting in premoistened, well-draining soil. (4) Cover with plastic to create a mini-greenhouse and mist the leaves daily. (5) Rooting will happen in 4-6 weeks.
- What’s the best Ficus Lyrata pot size? Ficus Lyrata prefers a snug pot size. Your pot should be ⅓ the size of your plant. Potting your Fiddle Leaf in a container that is too large will contribute to root rot and bacterial infections.