All About Philodendron giganteum
Posted on December 11 2022
Bigger is always better, right? The Philodendron giganteum definitely fits that description: reaching up to 8 feet high and leaves that can grow 4-5 feet long! These plants are simply elegant: a basic, glossy green background showcases its size and the veining on the plant’s leaf backs. The good news? The Philodendron Giganteum is easy to care for, indoors and out!
Meet Your Match:
- Nickname: Giant Philodendron
- About the Family: The Philodendron giganteum related to other varieties of Philodendron, such as the Imperial Red and Moonlight.
- Understanding the Family Tree: Araceae (Family), Philodendron Schott (Genus), Philodendron giganteum Schott (Species).
- Hometown: The tropical Carribean.
How to Care for Your Philodendron giganteum:
- Watering: When the first 2 inches of soil is dry.
- Humidity: High.
- Soil: Well-draining. Mix peat-based potting mix with orchid mix and perlite.
- Fertilizer: During the growing season, use a 20-20-20 blend monthly.
- Environment: Keep your Giant Philodendron in bright, indirect light and temperatures above 55 degrees.
- Propagation: Stem cutting directly above a leaf.
- Toxicity: Shouldn’t be ingested; toxic to pets and people.
The Best Unboxing Practices:
- Watering: Exotic Forest ships freshly watered plants. Do not water your Giant Philodendron until it exhibits the proper signs.
- Repotting: Do not immediately repot your plant, which would likely result in shock and leaf-loss. Allow it to acclimate to its new environment for at least one week.
- Lighting: Place your Giant Philodendron in filtered, low light for a few days to acclimate. Relocate your Philodendron giganteum to your desired location that fits its care needs afterward. Do not ever place a freshly un-boxed plant in direct sun.
What You’re Getting:
- You will receive a carefully selected, quality evaluated 6” diameter plant, based on your selection. All Exotic Forest plants are rooted and thriving.
What Makes Us Special:
FAQ about Caring for Philodendron giganteum:
- How fast do Philodendrons grow? Tree-like Philodendrons, such as the Giganteum, are fast growers. Giving the proper care and fertilizer to your plant during the growing season will speed up growth as much as possible.
- Can Philodendrons grow outside? Absolutely yes! Your Philodendron Giganteum will flourish outdoors. Remember, the shadiest spot outdoors is brighter (higher lumens) than the sunniest location indoors. What does this mean? Take special care to keep your plant out of direct sunlight. A spot in the “shade” outdoors is likely its ideal location.
- What’s the Philodendron giganteum’s common name? This plant is also known as the Giant Philodendron.