All About Philodendron hastatum 'Silver Sword'
Posted on December 11 2022
If you’re looking for something unique to spice up your plant collection, the Philodendron hastatum (aka Philodendron Silver Sword) is just the thing! Why? It sports blue-silver, arrowhead-shaped leaves, which make it stand out from the crowd! This climbing Philodendron is easy to care for and can be trained to ascend a moss totem.
Meet Your Match:
- Nickname: Philodendron hastatum, Philodendron domesticum
- About the Family: The Philodendron Silver Sword is a relative of other Philodendron varieties, such as the Painted Lady and White Princess.
- Understanding the Family Tree: Araceae (Family), Philodendron (Genus), Philodendron hastatum (Species).
- Hometown: Brazil
How to Care for Your Philodendron Silver Sword:
- Watering: Allow the 1-2 inches to dry out before rewatering.
- Humidity: Average-high.
- Soil: Well-draining soil.
- Fertilizer: Use a balanced fertilizer monthly during the growing season.
- Environment: Indoors, keep your Philodendron in bright indirect light and temperatures between 65-80 degrees.
- Propagation: Stem cutting.
- Toxicity: Toxic to pets and people.
The Best Unboxing Practices:
- Watering: Exotic Forest ships freshly watered plants. Do not water your Philodendron until it exhibits the proper signs.
- Repotting: Do not immediately repot your plant, which would likely result in shock and leaf-loss. Allow it to acclimate to its new environment for at least one week.
- Lighting: Place your Philodendron in filtered, low light for a few days to acclimate. Relocate your Philodendron Silver Sword to your desired location that fits its care needs afterward. Do not ever place a freshly un-boxed plant in direct sun.
What You’re Getting:
- You will receive a carefully selected, quality evaluated 6” diameter plant with 8-12" leaves. All Exotic Forest plants are rooted and thriving.
What Makes Us Special:
- Shipment Methods: Plants are precious, and we want yours to arrive safely! We ship our plants via UPS, with a maximum of 4-day shipping.
- Our Packing: Have you received ‘squished’ plants from other companies? Our solution to this common issue is bamboo stakes and biodegradable packing peanuts (starch), which securely holds your plant in place during shipment.
- Chemical-free: We are committed to keeping our plants and customers safe. We never treat our plants with chemical pesticides.
- Quality Standards: Exotic Forest strives to meet stringent quality standards and evaluates each plant we resource from our nursery. Pest-free, healthy plants are a requirement!
- Customer Service: Your satisfaction is our priority. If you are experiencing issues with or have questions about how to care for your Philodendron hastatum 'Silver Sword', reach out to us at email@example.com or via our social media accounts. Are you tired of receiving pre-written responses? We believe that plant parents want to talk to people, not robots. A knowledgeable team member reads and replies to each individual concern: no cookie-cutter answers here!
- Returns: While we do not accept returns at this time, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with photos of your plant and receipt to discuss the specific plant care issues you’re experiencing with your Philodendron hastatum 'Silver Sword' and possible resolutions.
- Your Personal Plant-Care Resource: Do you love your new addition? We couldn’t be happier! Join our mailing list to receive exclusive offers, updates, and care tips.
- Do you love your new addition? We couldn’t be happier! Join our mailing list to receive exclusive offers, updates, and care tips.
FAQ about How to Care for Your Philodendron Silver Sword:
- How do you propagate a Silver Philodendron? You can propagate your Philodendron Silver Sword with stem cuttings. The best time? Early to late summer. How do you do it? Read our blog for step-by-step instructions.
- Can you train a Philodendron Silver Sword to a totem? Why yes you can! This climbing Philodendron is epiphytic, which means it naturally grows on things rather than in the soil. By providing your Silver Sword with a moist moss totem, you give it something to latch onto. An added perk? Your plant’s new leaves will grow larger once its aerial roots have latched on. Do you need some pointers on how to get your Philodendron to climb? Check out the end of our Guide to Philodendron Basics!