All About Alocasia ‘Frydek’
Posted on December 10 2022
The Alocasia Frydek is an attractive, medium-care plant that features large, scalloped, arrow-head-shaped leaves and conspicuous vanilla veins. The best part? Their velvety matte finish! With the proper care, this plant can grow up to 3 feet tall and leaves that are up to 18 inches long.
Meet Your Match:
- Nickname: Velvet Green Alocasia
- About the Family: The Alocasia ‘Frydek’ is a relative of other Alocasia varieties, such as the Polly and Maharani.
- Understanding the Family Tree: Araceae (Family), Alocasia (Genus), Alocasia 'Frydek’ (Species).
- Hometown: Southeast Asia.
How to Care for Your Alocasia Freydek:
- Watering: When the first 1-2 inches of soil are dry.
- Humidity: High.
- Soil: Well-draining mix.
- Fertilizer: Balanced fertilizer monthly during the growing season.
- Environment: Keep your Alocasia in bright indirect light and temperatures above 65 degrees.
- Propagation: Division.
- Toxicity: Toxic.
The Best Unboxing Practices:
- Watering: Exotic Forest ships freshly watered plants. Do not water your Calathea Freydek until it exhibits the proper signs.
- Repotting: Do not immediately repot your plant, which would likely result in shock and leaf-loss. Allow it to acclimate to its new environment for at least one week.
- Lighting: Place your Alocasia in filtered, low light for a few days to acclimate. Relocate your Alocasia Freydek to your desired location that fits its care needs afterward. Do not ever place a freshly un-boxed plant in direct sun.
What You’re Getting:
- You will receive a carefully selected, quality evaluated 8” diameter plant approximately 24" tall. All Exotic Forest plants are rooted and thriving.
What Makes Us Special:
- Shipment Methods: Plants are precious, and we want yours to arrive safely! We ship our plants via UPS, with a maximum of 4-day shipping.
- Our Packing: Have you received ‘squished’ plants from other companies? Our solution to this common issue is bamboo stakes and biodegradable packing peanuts (starch), which securely holds your plant in place during shipment.
- Chemical-free: We are committed to keeping our plants and customers safe. We never treat our plants with chemical pesticides.
- Quality Standards: Exotic Forest strives to meet stringent quality standards and evaluates each plant we resource from our nursery. Pest-free, healthy plants are a requirement!
- Customer Service: Your satisfaction is our priority. If you are experiencing issues with or have questions about how to care for your Alocasia ‘Frydek’, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via our social media accounts. Are you tired of receiving pre-written responses? We believe that plant parents want to talk to people, not robots. A knowledgeable team member reads and replies to each individual concern: no cookie-cutter answers here!
- Returns: While we do not accept returns at this time, you can contact us at email@example.com with photos of your plant and receipt to discuss the specific plant care issues you’re experiencing with your Alocasia ‘Frydek’ and possible resolutions.
- Your Personal Plant-Care Resource: Do you love your new addition? We couldn’t be happier! Join our mailing list to receive exclusive offers, updates, and care tips.
FAQ about Alocasia Frydek:
- How to take care of Alocasia Frydek? Soil, humidity, light, and watering are the four keys to success. First, make sure you pot your Alocasia in well-draining soil; unaltered traditional potting mix will retain too much moisture. Secondly, invest in a humidifier or commit to misting your plant daily. Thirdly, find the right location. And lastly, allow the first 1-2 inches of soil to completely dry out before rewatering. Err on the side of caution!
- What type of sunlight does the Alocasia Frydek need? These plants require bright, indirect light. What does that mean? The brightest light you can find in your home, without placing your Alocasia in the direct sun. Direct sunlight will cause sunburn.
- What levels of humidity does Alocasia Frydek need? All Alocasias require high levels of humidity. At a minimum, these plants need above 50%, which is a challenge: most American households hover at 10%. A humidifier is the easiest way to provide your Alocasia Frydek with the environment it needs.