All About Alocasia baginda ‘Silver Dragon’
Posted on December 11 2022
When it comes to Snake Plants, the Sansevieria Moonshine has become the queen! It’s characterized by its misty green-grey, upright leaves that turn and twist as they get larger. As one of the easiest plants to care for, the Sansevieria Moonshine is an instant star in your plant collection!
Meet Your Match:
- Nickname: The African Gray Mask, Silver Elephant Ear
- About the Family: The Alocasia baginda ‘Silver Dragon’ is a relative of other Alocasia varieties, such as the Polly and Tyrion.
- Understanding the Family Tree: Araceae (Family), Alocasia (Genus), Alocasia baginda (Species), Alocasia baginda ‘Silver Dragon’ (Cultivar).
- Hometown: Borneo.
How to Care for Your Alocasia Silver Dragon:
- Watering: Allow the top two inches of soil to dry out before watering.
- Humidity: High, above 60%.
- Soil: Well-draining soil.
- Fertilizer: Use a balanced fertilizer twice a month during the growing season.
- Environment: Indoors, keep your Alocasia in bright indirect light and temperatures between 55-85 degrees.
- Propagation: Division.
- Toxicity: Toxic to pets and people.
The Best Unboxing Practices:
- Watering: Exotic Forest ships freshly watered plants. Do not water your Alocasia until it exhibits the proper signs.
- Repotting: Do not immediately repot your plant, which would likely result in shock and leaf-loss. Allow it to acclimate to its new environment for at least one week.
- Lighting: Place your Alocasia in filtered, low light for a few days to acclimate. Relocate your Alocasia Silver Dragon to your desired location that fits its care needs afterward. Do not ever place a freshly un-boxed plant in direct sun.
What You’re Getting:
- You will receive a carefully selected, quality evaluated 6” diameter plant. All Exotic Forest plants are rooted and thriving.
What Makes Us Special:
- Shipment Methods: Plants are precious, and we want yours to arrive safely! We ship our plants via UPS, with a maximum of 4-day shipping.
- Our Packing: Have you received ‘squished’ plants from other companies? Our solution to this common issue is bamboo stakes and biodegradable packing peanuts (starch), which securely holds your plant in place during shipment.
- Chemical-free: We are committed to keeping our plants and customers safe. We never treat our plants with chemical pesticides.
- Quality Standards: Exotic Forest strives to meet stringent quality standards and evaluates each plant we resource from our nursery. Pest-free, healthy plants are a requirement!
- Customer Service: Your satisfaction is our priority. If you are experiencing issues with or have questions about how to care for your Alocasia baginda ‘Silver Dragon’, reach out to us at email@example.com or via our social media accounts. Are you tired of receiving pre-written responses? We believe that plant parents want to talk to people, not robots. A knowledgeable team member reads and replies to each individual concern: no cookie-cutter answers here!
- Returns: While we do not accept returns at this time, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with photos of your plant and receipt to discuss the specific plant care issues you’re experiencing with your Alocasia baginda ‘Silver Dragon’ and possible resolutions.
- Your Personal Plant-Care Resource: Do you love your new addition? We couldn’t be happier! Join our mailing list to receive exclusive offers, updates, and care tips.
FAQ about How to Care for Your Alocasia Silver Dragon:
- Why does my Alocasia Silver Dragon have yellow leaves? First question: What season is it? It is not rare for several (if not all of) an Alocasia’s leaves to yellow and fall off during dormancy. Thanks to your plant’s bulb-like root system, it has enough energy to resprout leaves in the Spring if you continue caring for it properly. Second question: How old is the yellow leaf? Alocasias are frequent leaf droppers. As long as your plant is continuing to produce new healthy growth, losing one or two old leaves isn’t a major concern. Question three: What if your Alocasia doesn’t fit any of these scenarios? Likely there’s an issue with your care routine! Check out our blog for the best practices.
- Why are my Alocasia Silver Dragon’s leaves curling? The #1 reason your leaves are curling: Dehydration. Give your plant a good drink! If the soil is dry and crispy, bottom water your plant to rehydrate the soil. Establish and stick to a healthy watering routine. You shouldn’t allow more than 2 inches of your soil to dry out regularly. Set reminders on your phone to check your soil’s moisture levels. If you’ve used the proper, well-draining soil, you cannot overwater your plant in one sitting, so don’t be afraid to drench your plant when you water! Doing so will ensure that soil absorbs a sufficient supply of water.